[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/lofipodcast/LOTI_156_Lich_King.mp3″ background=”default” ]
- New Season started – This month’s card back is Frost Knight. Rank?
- 5 Changes (nerfs) coming in next update
- Innervate (Druid – Basic Card)
- Current – 0 mana Druid spell, Gain 2 Mana Crystals this turn only.
- New – 0 mana Druid spell, Gain 1 Mana Crystal this turn only.
- Innervate creates explosive starts to the game that can be difficult for the opponent to recover from. The change will keep the card as a simple Basic card but slows down the explosive start potential. They considered other options such as:
- Refresh 2 Mana Crystals
- Gain 2 Mana Crystals this turn only and increase the mana cost to 1.
- Gain 6 Mana Crystals this turn only and increase the mana cost to 4.
- They did want to keep the card simple since it’s a Basic card and they kept in mind other cards like Counterfeit Coin which is strong in combination with other support cards. With the right support cards for Innervate, it may end up still seeing play but won’t be in every deck. That is their end goal.
- Fiery War Axe (Warrior – Basic Card)
- Current – 2 mana, 3/2 weapon
- New – 3 mana, 3/2 weapon
- A powerful weapon from the start that works well with Pirates and cards that synergize with weapons. Raising its cost by 1 will slow down the Warrior’s tempo and lower the overall power level of the card.
- They still expect to see it being played despite the change.
- Hex (Shaman – Basic Card)
- Current – 3 mana, Shaman spell, Transform a minion into a 0/1 Frog with Taunt.
- New – 4 mana, Shaman spell, Transform a minion into a 0/1 Frog with Taunt.
- Not making this change due to a current power-level problem, but they are making a “forward-thinking” change with the overall identity of the class in mind. Changing Hex makes Shaman a bit weaker against big minions and worse at silencing. They think that having both strengths and weaknesses in a class is important.
- Murloc Warleader (Neutral – Epic)
- Current – 3 mana, 3/3 Murloc, Your other Murlocs have +2/+1
- New – 3 mana, 3/3 Murloc, Your other Murlocs have +2 Attack.
- Removing the health buff from Murloc Warleader will make it easier for players to clear the board of murlocs, and still have it remain a Classic build-around card. This gives a simplification of health-giving buffs and additional room for future Murlocs since the Warleader will be around for a while.
- Spreading Plague – (Druid – Rare)
- Current – 5 mana Druid spell, Summon a 1/5 Scarab with Taunt. If your opponent has more minions, cast this again.
- New – 6 mana Druid spell, Summon a 1/5 Scarab with Taunt. If your opponent has more minions, cast this again.
- Spreading Plague is a great defensive tool for Druid to protect themselves against aggressive decks but it was too efficient at 5 mana. Raising it to 6 will slow down the card slightly, while still allowing it to be used in the late game.
- Considered changing it to 7 but since the change to Innervate, decided to only add 1 mana to the cost.
- Other cards mentioned but not changed, for now
- Ultimate Infestation
- It feels pretty bad to lose to this card, but with the other changes being made to Druid, ramping out Ultimate Infestation before turn 10 should happen less often, so they decided to leave it as it is.
- Ice Block
- Many have discussed moving Ice Block to the Hall of Fame, but that only happens at the beginning of the year (with the first expansion of the year). “Our general stance regarding Hall of Fame is that we want to avoid moving cards mid-year.” Hmm….
- Ultimate Infestation
- Reminder that when the changes go live, players can disenchant the changed non-Basic cards for full dust for 2 weeks. Basic card cannot be dusted.
- Innervate (Druid – Basic Card)
- Ben Brode went to Reddit answering questions about the nerfs
- The goal with the nerfs was to reduce the ratio of Basic/Classic cards in Standard decks. It’s too high.
- He thinks 10-ish cards is about right for what should be included in Standard decks.
- It was never the plan not to make changes to Basic and Classic cards
- Hall of Fame is there to act kind of like a rotating core set that other games have
- They are hoping to have something to announce early next year to talk about better player accessibility to meta decks for new players.
Espo Mode: Blood Magic – Standard
Rogue is crazy fun with Shadowblade and Doomerang… and Violet Illusionist!
Mage was obviously seen a lot.
Paladin was able to buff minions with charge through the roof for some huge fast damage.
Since most players were sacrificing health for a fast win, Hunter could just go face with a few minions and finish their opponents off with a few free Kill Commands.
Priest had some fun with a few big combos too.
9 rounds with the Big Guy (Lich King) atop ICC
Murlocs and Molten Giants
What does that do?
- Viewers can cheer with Bits (donation)
- Viewers can Subscribe to support the show
- Subscribers can get an Emote for subscribing (To be determined and created)
Reviews and Emails
iTunes Reviews: 0
I have always found your podcast super enjoyable because you guys are just real people playing hearthstone for fun. A topic that comes up often for players especially when a new expansion comes out are budget decks. Before the expansion released I raced up to rank 5 because I wanted to spend the month just testing everything with not worry about rank. After a couple weeks of terrible deck building I decided to go back to Mage and found a great budget friendly deck. The deck has only two epics with the rest being rare, common, or class cards! Please enjoy the decklist below and let me know what you think! Hopefully this deck can help out some of the newer players or ones with less complete collections compete and climb the ladder! Keep up the good work.
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
# 2x (1) Babbling Book
# 2x (1) Mana Wyrm
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Medivh’s Valet
# 2x (2) Primordial Glyph
# 2x (2) Sorcerer’s Apprentice
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Counterspell
# 2x (3) Kirin Tor Mage
# 2x (3) Mirror Entity
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (6) Kabal Crystal Runner
# 2x (7) Bonemare
# 2x (7) Firelands Portal
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
John Urick aka Starlax
Facebook Shoutout: The 12 win run drought is over!! . Started 2-2 with this deck and won 9 in a row. Had Medivh and Onixia. Both MVPs.
That does it for this episode. You can email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit our website at legendoftheinnkeeper.com where we will post the show notes with the episode that has links to all the information we discussed.
Our YouTube channel is www.legendoftheinnkeeper.com/YouTube
You can follow us on Twitter
LOTI Podcast – @LOTIpodcast.
Espo – @Xcmtbgamer
You can support the show through Patreon at : www.patreon.com/Legendoftheinnkeeper
Be sure to subscribe and rate us on iTunes!
Until next show, Happy gaming!
Music by James Marantette – https://soundcloud.com/james-marantette