Blackrock Mountain Calls
Welcome to the Legend of the Innkeeper. I’m Vastidious, I’m Ariannwyn and I’m Espo’s substitute, MattyJMania. We’re glad you could join us for our 36th episode.
This week we are talking about… BlackRock Mountain
What did you do this week?
Discuss Tuesday night coaching with Matty
1. Blizzard announces a new adventure, Blackrock Mountain at PaxEast 2015
- New Adventure Pack – Blackrock Mountain
- Phone version had some issues to overcome but it’s in Alpha state now. Will be coming “very, very soon”.
- Available in April 2015, with pre-orders starting on March 19th or 20th
- It’s slightly different than Naxxramas because of the story. You get thrown into the middle of one of Azeroth’s most heated conflicts. A feud between Ragnaros and the black dragon Nefarian. Nefarian apparently sends you to deal with Ragnaros.
- There are 5 wings just like there were in Naxxramas, 17 bosses.
- Each boss has their own hero power
- Each boss drops two copies of a new card. 31 new cards come in this Adventure, which are rewarded by defeating each boss and each challenge.
- When you defeat a wing, you get that wing’s Legendary card (example – Rend Blackhand)
- 9 class challenges – succeed and you get 2 copies of a new class card.
- New board
- Dragons are prevalent in this adventure
- Also you will come across Dark Iron dwarves, fiery elementals and Blackrock orcs
- Also has a Heroic mode to defeat
- First wing is Blackrock Depths
- First wing bosses – Grim Guzzler, The Arena, Dark Iron Emperor
- Second Wing – Molten Core
- Third Wing – Blackrock Spire
- Forth Wing – Blackwing Lair
- Fifth Wing – Hidden Lab
As with Naxxramas, the pricing is pretty much the same.
- Pre-order begins on March 19th or 20th
- Wings can be purchased for 700 gold OR $6.99 USD
- You can purchase all at once for $24.99
- The first wing this time around is NOT free. Naxx first wing was free to introduce adventures.
- If you pre-order (at $24.99) you will get a bonus card back. Zeriyah confirmed that the pre-order is cash only. You can’t use gold to get the bonus card.
- Purchasing it only unlocks it for the region you purchase it in. (source: https://twitter.com/CM_Zeriyah/status/573934053151408128)
Zeriyah @ PAX @CM_Zeriyah
.@ArchonAmazHS The pre-order is for real money only, not gold.
Informal poll over on Reddit – How are you going to buy Blackrock Mountain? (http://strawpoll.me/3809475/r)
- Pre-order cash – 49%
- Gold only – 41%
- Gold then cash – 10%
New Cards Revealed
5 cards were revealed at the announcement
- Blackwing Technician – 3 mana, 2/4 minion, Battlecry: If you’re holding a Dragon, gain +1/+1
- Dark Iron Skulker – Rogue Challenge Reward – 5 mana, 4/3 minion, Battlecry: Deal 2 damage to all undamaged enemy minions
- Grim Patron – 5 mana, 3/3 minion, Whenever this minion survives damage, summon another Grim Patron
- Hungry Dragon – 4 mana, 5/6 Dragon, Battlecry: Summon a random 1-Cost minion for your opponent
- Rend Blackhand – Wing One Legendary – 7 mana, 8/4 minion, Battlecry: If you’re holding a Dragon, destroy a Legendary minion.
As with Naxxramas, golden versions are only available through crafting after you obtain the regular one first. Same costs as in the past.
We already mentioned that if you pre-order you get a bonus card back. If you achieve rank 20 in March, you get the Ragnaros card back. And if you complete Heroic Blackrock Mountain, you get a third card back.
SPOILER ALERT: If you don’t want to know anything about the boss and what he does, mute or skip ahead!
Some media outlets got a chance to play with the first bit including the first boss, Grim Guzzler (Coren Direbrew)
- Hero power – Pile On – 0 mana – “Put a minion from each deck onto the battlefield.”
- Health – 30
- His deck is filled with massive creatures and legendary cards
- When Pile On is used, it does NOT trigger the minion’s Battlecry.
- Hero Power – Pile On – 0 mana – “Put two minions from (Coren’s) deck and one minion from your opponents deck onto the battlefield.”
- Health – 30 health + 15 armor
- When he starts losing a bit of control, he plays a spell that drops 4 x 1/1 Taunt creatures (Bouncer) onto his side of the field.
- When he starts losing a lot of control, he plays the Dark Iron Bouncer. This card isn’t available except in boss fights and can’t be obtained for Constructed or Arena.
- Dark Iron Bouncer – 6 mana, 4 Attack, 8 Health – Always Wins Brawls
- Then he plays [Brawl!]
- If you survive, he eventually runs out of minions.
Reviews and Emails
iTunes Reviews: None
Zach Vanderkooy – Just joined the patreon group!
I’m happy to support the podcast – keep up the great work. I’m fairly new to Hearthstone, but you guys have really helped me get up to speed quickly. I feel like we’re on a similar arc of discovering all the fun that can be had with this awesome game.
I’m looking forward to more episodes – and to connecting with the Facebook community. Can you add me to the Facebook group? I’d also welcome friend requests on Hearthstone, if you do that.
Ken – Love the show!
Just wanted to write in and tell you how much I enjoy the show. I’m one of many whose daily commute you surely ease.
Glad to hear some love recently for the Druid. I had a game recently in which I truly needed Poison Seeds and it wasn’t in the deck I was playing at the time. Never before had I seen a Shaman essentially clone Kel’Thuzad 3 times with 2 Reincarnates. What else does a Casual Druid play to deal with FOUR 6/8s?!! How does anyone react to that? Twisting Nether I suppose.
Should those of us seeking more than a few Legendaries (mainly from the Naxx Adventure) save up dust to create them, or is it merely a matter of opening as many packs as possible? I have yet to surpass 3 or 4 wins in Arena and feel as though I’ve plateaued in Constructed. Feeling out-gunned by Legendary rich decks in Ranked play is frustrating.
Also, could you focus some episodes on mana curve, good trades, tempo swings, counter-class decks, etc.?
Anyways, the show is great, you all seem like such nice, intelligent people. I just wanted to share a bit of my experience and feedback. So keep up the good work, and BE FUN!! 😀
That does it for this episode. You can email the show at email@example.com. You can also visit our website at legendoftheinnkeeper.com where we will post the show notes with the episode that has links to all the information we discussed.
Our YouTube channel is www.legendoftheinnkeeper.com/YouTube
You can follow the show on Twitter @LOTIpodcast
You can support the show through Patreon at : www.patreon.com/Legendoftheinnkeeper
Be sure to subscribe and rate us on iTunes!
Until next show, Happy gaming!
Music by James Marantette – https://soundcloud.com/james-marantette