[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/lofipodcast/LOTI_004_mixdown.mp3″ title=”No Naxx Yet – Rush Deck” image=”http://www.legendoftheinnkeeper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/LOTI-Artwork-Small.jpg” social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” ]
- 1 #004 – Legend of the Innkeeper – “No Naxx Yet – Rush Deck”
- 2 News
- 3 Tournaments
- 4 Contest / Interaction
- 5 Getting better
- 6 Outro
#004 – Legend of the Innkeeper – “No Naxx Yet – Rush Deck”
Contest Update: We have a winner – Pneuma! See below for details
Intro: Welcome to the Legend of the Innkeeper. I’m Vastidious and I’m Ariannwyn. We’re glad you could join us for our third episode.
This week we are talking about…
What did you do this week?
Hearthstone Fireside Gathering
- Attended our first gathering
- Met some new friends
- Learned some new tips and tricks
- Game went down right at the beginning and we switch to MTG
- If you are in the Cary area, come join Friday’s @ 5-7pm – The Grind
- They are Hearthstone friendly
1. Patreon – www.patreon.com/legendoftheinnkeeper
2. Naxx Golden Cards – Controversy
This week there was some controversy about how to get golden versions of the cards and at how hard it is going to be to get them. People did the math and it’s going to cost 58,000 dust to create them all. Then there were some posts and tweets made by Blizzard that confused the situation. Finally it was cleared up by Zeriyah.. http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/13347345291?page=3#50
3. Naxx Board
On the forums this week, Aratil posted that the Curse of Naxxramas board will only be available through the Curse of Naxxramas adventure. It won’t become a board available through other modes. He also said that you will still need an internet connection to play Curse of Naxxramas. So no offline mode, yet. http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/13271477080?page=42#829
4. New music
There will be new music in the Naxx Adventure and another new track for regular mode. http://www.hearthpwn.com/
5. Reynad Quits
One of the popular Twitch streamers, Reynad (http://www.twitch.tv/reynad27), decided the other day that he’s going to quit playing Hearthstone until Curse of Naxxramas comes out.
He said “It’s been 8 months. It’s gotten to the point where every deck is perfected pretty much so. Zoo was the first deck that was perfected, and then miracle rogue was the second, and then druid was the third. And it’s just… it’s all draws, there’s no play to the game right now so I’m just not having fun anymore.”
He’s just decided to stream Magic the Gathering until it does come out.
6. Amaz adds his first guide for Legend
I’m sure you won’t be surprised when I say that it’s a Priest guide. It’s not as deep as I had hoped when I clicked on it. http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/461967-a-guide-on-the-holy-path-amazs-guide-to-priests
7. This Week’s Forum Topics
Well I spent time this week (on and off) looking at the Blizzard Hearthstone forums for any new information about Naxx and such. What I found very quickly is that there are basically two major topics being discussed right now on the forums.
1. When is Naxx coming out?
Yes there is a lot of discussion about the debate of when Naxx is coming out. Mostly it’s people posting that “they have it on good authority that it’s coming out Tuesday!” or “There is no way it’s coming out this week because … “. Lots and lots of threads like that. It’s a good question and one I’m hoping we find out the answer to sooner than later. Unfortunately, it’s not a very useful conversation.
Aratil posted on the forums today that Curse is NOT coming out today. http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/13271477080?page=49#980
2. Is Hearthstone F2P or P2W or P4A?
I know they are confusing but here is what they mean. F2P (Free to play) – P2W (Pay to win) – P4A (Pay for advantage). The reason this is coming up so much is because of Blizzard announcing the price of the upcoming Naxx expansion.
July 17-20 – Dreamhack Valencia, Spain
It’s an open tournament with a prize of $3,000 euros ($4,100 US) and anyone can participate. There are 128 open slots.
July 16-18 – Intel Extreme Masters Tournament – Shenzen, China
Invitation only tournament with a prize of $10,000 US – ($4,000 to the winner, $2,000 second place and $1,000 for 3rd and 4th.) The interesting part of this tournament is that each player has a veto option. So what happens is the players bring 4 decks to the tournament. They show 3 of their decks to the judge, who then shows it to their opponent once it’s approved. The opponent can veto one of the decks and force them to use their 4th deck. http://en.intelextrememasters.com/news/10000-hearthstoneTM-tournament-takes-place-at-iem-9/
Contest / Interaction
**We have a winner! Pneuma guessed it correctly. I ended up with 4 wins with the deck shown in the video below. Unfortunately I realized after the fact that I didn’t take a screen shot of the final totals, but next time around I will make sure to do that. Thanks all for participating. We had some amazing input and commentary. I hope others will find your input as helpful as I did! **
This week, I had an idea that might be a fun experiment and maybe a permanent feature of the show. I thought about starting an Arena run and recording as I pick the cards. Then taking that recording and putting it online with this podcast for you all to watch. So I went ahead and did that in preparation for this episode, talking through my thought process as I picked each card.
What I want you to do, is watch the video and then do one of the two things below. Or two of the two things below.
1. If you have some good input on what might be better picks than what I did, add those thoughts to the comments. The idea being that those of you who are better than me (which are a lot of you out there) that your knowledge and comments will help me and our other listeners get better.
2. Add your vote as to what the final win-loss rating was for that deck in the arena, with me playing it. I’ve already completed the Arena run. Those that get the number correct will be entered together and I’ll have Ariannwyn randomly pick one. The winner will get a $4 to purchase 2 packs on us. We have to do it via sending you $4 through Paypal.
You can do both options. Our goal is to get conversations flowing around this little experiment to see if we can help each other to become better players.
So here is the video:
- The point of a Rush deck is about beating down your opponent so fast they never get a chance to setup their own deck and strategy.
- They generally try to win by about turn 5 or 6. If the game goes past that point in time, most Rush decks will run out of steam and not have real way to win in the late game. The goal of an aggro deck is to come hard and win fast, and if your opponent cannot counter this, you will have a good chance of winning.
- I think Aggro is probably one of the most common decks? (Someone who played Magic says comparatively every HS deck has a bit of aggro)
- An aggro deck’s worst enemies are Taunt and AoE
- Aggro/Rush decks are good to start with. They are easier to learn and build than control decks.
Things to focus on:
- Low-cost minions
- Minions with charge
- Cheap removal
- Buffing up other minions
- Decks with lots of taunts shut this deck down
- No late game
- Winning or losing based more on luck rather than skill
Reviews and Emails
iTunes Review: No new reviews 🙁
Emails: Kaja – Hey guys, I just found your podcast today and have been having fun listening to you guys. I’m a casual hearthstone player (I am a professional grad student when not playing hearthstone) and would love to actually have some friends to play with as my wife doesn’t play video games. I’ve been rank 10 consistently the past few months, but more importantly spend a lot of time researching the game. I may be able to give you guys some pointers on constructed and arena, but most of all would enjoy just playing some hearthstone.
Alex in Australia –Hey, just wanted to say hi and well done with the podcast so far. I’m from Australia and listen to a few Hearthstone podcasts, I’m enjoying yours in particular due to the more casual approach you go about the game, as well as the good sound quality. I’m always interested in adding more people and vsing others, and would welcome the chance to vs either of you. My ID is idreamofq. Thanks!
Twitter Update – # 19 followers!
That does it for this episode. You can email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit our website at legendoftheinnkeeper.com where we will post the show notes with the episode that has links to all the information we discussed.
You can follow the show on Twitter @LOTIpodcast
Be sure to subscribe and rate us on iTunes!
Until next show, Happy gaming!